|Only a year after she
was built, the EARL OF CHATHAM left Liverpool on the morning of 4th
October 1885, bound for Rangoon with a full cargo of salt. The Master
was Mr. Thomas de Gruchy and the licensed pilot was Mr. Thomas Hogan.
It was the practice at that time for
sailing ships to be towed as far as the Anglesey coast if the
prevailing winds were in a direction that made sailing difficult.
Having been wind bound in the river for three days, this was now the
case, and so the ship left the Mersey under tow from the steam tug
Due to increasing wind speeds and
worsening weather conditions, the Master of the tug was forced to
order the tow line to be cut. Then, a land sighting believed to be the
West Mouse was in fact the Anglesey coast and the ship ended up on the
rocks some fifty yards from the shore very close to the West Mouse.